This program will be virtual.
Now almost 50 years ago, the story of Watergate is a story of political corruption and cover-up, investigative journalism and press freedom, and the checks and balances system envisioned by the Founding Fathers. Using the book (and film) All the President’s Men, the film Nixon, and the United States Supreme Court’s decision in US. v. Nixon, we can look at how a break-in ultimately turned into the first presidential resignation in history..
With synchronous learning over five days, students would have time to read the Nixon case and watch the movies in between and afterward. Days/topics would be:
- The break in and coverup
- Role of the press in uncovering the scandal
- Congressional Oversight and Committee hearings and testimony
- The “Saturday Night Massacre” and role of the Special Prosecutor
- The US v. Nixon SCOTUS decision
- Resignation/aftermath – use of ‘-gate’ over the past 50 years and the now common cynicism with which Americans view the actions of their government.
2 synchronous meeting times each day. One at 10am and one at 2pm. There will be independent activities and work time in-between.
Dates: June 29-July 3
Times: 10am & 2pm
Teacher: Carlos Angulo